Coach Jim Davis’s recap of the night:
Tonight we hosted the Prattville Lions and Reeltown Rebels in the friendly confines of MainStreet Gym here on the Beautiful Opelika High School campus.
Tonight was Senior Night so Coach Davis implored all the Dawgs to give their absolute best efforts so our lone Senior, Adam Phillips, would have a great memory of his last time to wrestle in MainStreet and the Dawgs responded.
Our first duel was against the Lions who were a few men short in their lineup therefore we had only 8 real matches and received 24 points in forfeits from the Lions. The Dawgs still won 6 of the 8 matches and took a 60-12 victory to the locker room while we waited on Prattville and Reeltown to wrestle.
In our second Dual, we faced off against the Reeltown Rebels. The Rebels also came in a few men short of a full lineup and ended up giving us 36 points in forfeits, but of the 6 matches wrestled, our Dawgs put the whooping on the Rebels shutting them out 69-0.
The 2-0 night brings our season record to 10-12 with only three matches left in the regular season. We travel to Auburn Thursday night to face the talented Tigers, a strong Homewood Patriots bunch, and the very tough Russell County Warriors squad. After Thursday’s quad match, our regular season comes to a close and we will begin preparing for the AHSAA State Traditional Championship Tournament.
Tonights top individual performances:
- 195 # Jack Pritchard was 2-0 with a pin and an injury default win scoring 12 points
- 120# Brayden Wilson was 2-0 scoring 12 points
- 152# Keon Brazier was 2-0 scoring 12 team points with 2 pins
- 106# Derrick Hoyett was 2-0 scoring 9 points with 1 pin
- 113# Pedro Cabrera had 1 pin and scored 12 team points
- 182# Ari Brogdon finished with 12 points and a pin
- Honored Senior 138# Adam Phillips was 2-0 with 12 points and 1 pin.
- 145# Logan Sheridan scored a pin and 12 points
- 220# Jaylin Thomas scored 6 points
- 220# Maleik Simpson scored 6 points with a pin while wrestling up in the Heavyweight class
- 195# McKenzie Felder was 1-0 with a pin and 6 points
- 182# Calvin Fenn scored 6 points
- 170# Teotl Heredia scored 6 points
It was good mat time for all the Dawgs this evening. Hope to see you as many of you rabid Dawgs fans in Auburn as physical distancing and Covid restrictions will allow.
US/World History Teacher/Head Wrestling Coach/Asst Football Coach